Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lockdown

Today my school had a lockdown. No, it wasn't a drill. Some idiot called the school claiming to have put a device in a rehearsal hall. They also claimed there were armed shooters waiting for evacuation and that he had the detonator in hand. I don't know who it was or why they did it, but I am sick and tired of these weak minded droolers pulling this kind of stuff. Needless to say it's exam week. In addition the director of the organization targeted in the phone call had canceled a spring trip because the students had not practiced, were distracted on their phones and tablets in rehearsal and generally seemed disinterested in the performance part of the trip althought anxious to miss four days of school to attend. Allegedly, students were mad at this director, but I say more power to her. We have kids who are born into such a huge sense of entitlement that they believe the "deserve"  trips, banquets, awards, scholarships, what have you, simply because they exist.

After an hour cowering in the dark corner of a locked computer lab, I am NOT in a happy mood. After a year in which teachers seem to have no back up while administrators cower at the demands of parents, I'm really at my wit's end. This is not why I signed up for the job.

No comments: