Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This Time, It's Serious-Immigration

Here's a copy of an open letter I sent to Diane Feinstein. I don't expect her to read it. Actually what I expect is for some third level political flunky to either delete it, or to send me a snarky form letter. While I have held these views for awhile, they came to a head when I read the series from San Antonio that is linked in the headline. Please read it. Please. This is important for our safety, for our security and for our future. I hate to sound so dramatic, but these are dangerous times. And this could be our last chance to change things.

"I know that I am not a constituent, but as a Congressional representative, you do have the obligation to hear opposing thoughts on the issues of the day. Texas is on the front lines in this dispute and as a teacher I can assure you, we are suffering due to the sporous condition of our borders. I would invite you to read the series in the San Antonio newspaper regarding the infiltration of OTM's under the guise of Mexican immigrants. It is a very scary situation and I think it is a time bomb waiting to go off.

I am a native Texan and I am VERY concerned about Congress negligence and lack of foresight on the illegal immigration issue. First and foremost, we have lost our national security since it is documented that the designation "other than Mexican" is one that includes known activists in terrorism and that some have crossed our borders with impunity.

Domestically, we have an erosion of local economies, such as is happening in Farmers Branch, wherein absentee landlords rent to people without even knowing how many people live in that house. Where the taxes on one single family house provides roads, water, sewage, education and health benefits, it is not equitable when two, three or four families live in the same house or apartment. Landlords have few tools to control this. Schools and social/welfare offices are swamped with giving aide and special programs for these illegal immigrants. In addition, if they are working on the books, they have to be using fraudulent ID's and that is IDENTITY THEFT, which could seriously ruin someone's retirement.

Finally, I think that there are some members of Congress who are intent on making it possible for illegal immigrants to vote. It is already happening on a local level, although it should be denied by the Supreme court. How can we be sure that people are voting legally when we can't even ask for a valid ID? If we can do criminal background checks on PTSA moms, soccer coach dads and Sunday School teachers, then we should be able to LEGALLY expect identification for something as serious as voting. I am very concerned and I am NOT ALONE. I will be watching to see what is done in regards to this issue.

As I said before, I know I am not your specific constiguent, but I am a voter. And I am a blogger. And I do as much as I can to get information into the hands of those who will vote. While you may be able to wrap up California for your candidate on this issue, I promise you that in Texas, it won't be that easy, because we are running out of money, out of time, and out of patience.

No comments: